My very first project....

Bickers

After spending most of my working hours reading the projects page and being inspired by the threads found ther in, I decided to get myself a project within budget.

I found myself a Yamaha RXS100 98cc 2 stroke...

YamahaRX-S100.jpg

She's not exactly mint, but at £3.85 a bit of a bargain. :thumbsup:

So after a little test ride, I would like to change the front end with a slightly more powerful disk set up, and maybe a nice 250LC expansion chamber on her for starters.

As for the forks, what are my options? Obviously I need to keep the same length front end, and I assume I'd be beeter off getting a set of forks with a disk brake and front wheel thrown in for good measure, so do I keep the yokes and try and find the same diameter stantion or change the whole thing.

Advice and help would be appriciated. :D

I think Micron did spannies for these, keep an eye open on the 'bay as they crop up sometimes.

As for the front end, measure your fork length and stanchion diameter and have a root around your local breakers.

Yamaha SR125's had a single disc set up, may be worth checking out?

£3.85???...bargain! I've just been given a Suzuki GS125 which the previous owner has lost the keys for.

I fear that the cost of a Suzuki lockset may outweigh the fact that the bike was free by a hundred-fold though :icon_blackeye: .

That looks very tidy. I'd be tempted to go for a "back to original" resto on that, rather than modding it. However, should be cheap enough to find a front end to go in it, maybe an RD125 pipe. Could make a very cheap and very cool flat tracker or café racer out of that.

Top buying skills. :icon_blackeye:

I was just looking on the 'bay' at front ends.. I hear you on the trying to keep it original, but that wouldn't be the PB way.

What are the implications of changing the front wheel size? Obviously I will try and keep it as close to the original as posssible, and with something of this power (around 6-8bhp i'm guessing) it wouldn't make that much differance but I bow down the knowledge contained in this forum.

now most of this is from memory so don't get upset if its wrong as it been a few years.....

RD125LC mk1 front end and rear wheel will give a disc brake and cast alloy wheels, the RD125LC caliper in good condition is good enough for a bike of that size and weight. The rear is a drum brake so should marry up with the existing pedal and rod. Still 18" wheels so your tyre choice isn't that great, you could try a mk2 or mk3 rd125lc front end (same as early TZR125), this has a 16" front wheel so will steer a lot quicker.

The RD125LC carb is a couple of mm bigger and i believe this fits with the rd125lc reed valve and rubber.

Micron did do an exhaust for the RXS but they will be as rare as rocking horse poo. You might be able to adapt a mircon or allspeed pipe off an (aircooled) RD250 or 400 as these look like they have similar mounting points.

It was only designed as a commuter bike but you could probably get a few more ponies out of the engine with some porting work and/or optimising the squish.

TZR bits are cheap, or for that proper wrench monkees style, mito/rs125 usd's, plus the swingarm and back wheel etc, welded up to take the twin shocks. All parts can be found for not much, but it'd be a proper ball ache, I'm sure.

Firstly, good purchasing skillorZ.

Secondly if you're looking to change the whole front end easily then look for similar era same manufacturer offerings. The chances of the bearings being the same size are pretty high meaning easy for you. The same goes with wheels and spindle sizes.

18" tyres I'd recommend Metzeler ME22's.

I'd also say (though I fail to do) get a firm idea in your head of what you want it to end up like and stick to it. Buy any parts you need before you start pulling it to pieces if you can, as it saves the bike just sitting there, and that's demoralising.

Good luck.

I'd also say (though I fail to do) get a firm idea in your head of what you want it to end up like and stick to it. Buy any parts you need before you start pulling it to pieces if you can, as it saves the bike just sitting there, and that's demoralising.

Good luck.

I can see how you used that approach with the DR Tom.

Much appriciated advice guys.. I'm heading to a couple of breakers at the weekend with a set of vernier calipers.

Don't forget your tape measure too, for checking the length. You don't want to end up with something that looks like an Orange County Choppers abortion. Measure the RXS forks diameter, length, spacing between stanchions, and owt else you can think of, and jot it down for reference. Happy hunting!

measure the height of your heasdstock too, then you can contemplate fork swaps complete with yokes too, just a matter of buying bearings.

Archived