new pads

yamfan

Just wondered if i,m supposed to re fit the anti rattle shims when fitting new front pads on my zx10r, just got some carbon lorraine sbk5 and they are ceramic backed. what does anyone else do? also is it ok to not use copperslip when reassembling ive just spent all afternoon cleaning the shitty stuff out of my calipers after the previous owner had lashed it everywhere?

Those backing plates are more to prevent heat transfer to the brake pistons so you probs could remove them and see how you go-guess it depends how hard you intend to use them-early 10's have a recognised problem with brake fade-usually shown up on trackdays,keep the shims incase.

As for the coppaslip-they also have a habit of pads corroding badly to the caliper sides and making them stick so again it depends on if you'll use it in foul weather

Thanks for the reply fella, have done trackdays & plan more but have suffered the brake fade, i wont be riding it in the crap weather. if their job is to prevent heat transfer then i think i,ll refit them cheers.

I have the shims in one side, but not the other on my Brembo pads in a 1000 K5. No difference at all to performance, though in the wet the shimless pads squeal at slow speeds.

I'll not be refitting the missing shims.

Archived