Screens

fran9r

I want to make my own shape screen, so it needs to be clear and optically good. I'd first thought they would be made of clear resin (as in fibreglass), but apparently not.

I spoke to a guy at HotBodies in the US that make clear panels, but the most I got out of him was they used the screen material as screens.

So, anyone work for a bodywork manufacturer and willing to point me in the right direction?

OK I've seen a trick using a vacumn cleaner work for carbon bits, not sure about polycarbonate though. Presume that depends on the temperature and pressure required.

Good call on the schools/colleges.

This might be an interesting read...

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_te...ssing_guide.pdf

In particular the section on 'drape forming' which may suit making a screen and means you don't have to piss around with pressure/vacuum setups, just need a heat source at about 155degC.

Alternatively, find a way of attracting foo's attention to this thread, because he's had a go at this already to make a headlight screen for his R1. IIRC he found some other sort of plastic which would go soft with boiling water - easier to work with than polycarbonate, but prob not as tough.

This might be an interesting read...

http://www.theplasticshop.co.uk/plastic_te...ssing_guide.pdf

In particular the section on 'drape forming' which may suit making a screen and means you don't have to piss around with pressure/vacuum setups, just need a heat source at about 155degC.

Alternatively, find a way of attracting foo's attention to this thread, because he's had a go at this already to make a headlight screen for his R1. IIRC he found some other sort of plastic which would go soft with boiling water - easier to work with than polycarbonate, but prob not as tough.

Top find. The drape forming definately looks the easiest option...bit of a bugger on the gloss mound requirement though.

I've PMd Foo.

You need to make sure the plug you use to form it over is very smooth too, even tiny amounds of wood grain will affect the clarity and finish of the polycarbonate.

Hmm, might have to give that a coat of looking at, and maybe some thinking too.

.......Failing that a lot of schools and colleges have them as well.

We've got a small vac former at the school where I work (Warwickshire)

We only regularly use it on thin (<2mm) Polystyrene Sheet, although I've also done some forming with Acrylic sheet, up to about 4mm.

Web site I get the kids to visit for homework...

Biggest problem with thicker materials is getting an even heating through the material, if the surface gets too hot it can start to blister before the centre of the material is hot enough to form. It is pretty easy to waste a sheet of material before you get it right. You'd probably be OK to use polycarbonate (2 or 3mm, as sold in B&Q) for a screen.

Also, depending on the shape of the plug, you can find it difficult for the moulding to release, although for a screen shape this shouldn't be a problem.

I'll check the envelope of our machine tomorrow and let you know some dimensions so that you can see if it would be any use to you.

Do you have a screen that you can base your mould on? If so, it may be able to cast a copy of it using plaster of paris which might work for a one off moulding.

By the time you work out how much time, effort and expense is involved in making a screen, you start to see what good VFM some of the cheap ones you can buy are.

We've got a small vac former at the school where I work (Warwickshire)

We only regularly use it on thin (<2mm) Polystyrene Sheet, although I've also done some forming with Acrylic sheet, up to about 4mm.

Web site I get the kids to visit for homework...

Biggest problem with thicker materials is getting an even heating through the material, if the surface gets too hot it can start to blister before the centre of the material is hot enough to form. It is pretty easy to waste a sheet of material before you get it right. You'd probably be OK to use polycarbonate (2 or 3mm, as sold in B&Q) for a screen.

Also, depending on the shape of the plug, you can find it difficult for the moulding to release, although for a screen shape this shouldn't be a problem.

I'll check the envelope of our machine tomorrow and let you know some dimensions so that you can see if it would be any use to you.

Do you have a screen that you can base your mould on? If so, it may be able to cast a copy of it using plaster of paris which might work for a one off moulding.

By the time you work out how much time, effort and expense is involved in making a screen, you start to see what good VFM some of the cheap ones you can buy are.

Nice stuff!

According to the .pdf, for screens you'd probably be able to use drape forming and that would be lovely and simple!

As Scwirral say, mass produced goods are great value for money but one size doesn't fit all I suppose..... Anyway, rember this? 'Don't buy it, build it!'

Vacuum moulded polycarbonate or lexan (a particular brand of polycarbonate).

Lexan is the trade name for polycarb made by GE PLastics - now called SABIC (or rather bought out by SABIC)

Other trade names for polycarbonate include:

* Calibre from Dow Chemicals

* Iupilon from Mitsubishi Engineering-Plastics Corp.

* Makrolife from Arlaplast

* Makrolon from Bayer

* Panlite from Teijin Chemical Limited

* Tarflon from Idemitsu Kosan Co.Ltd.

As Millemille says it sheet polycarb, sucked down onto the mould by a vacuum

Archived