2nd set of R1 wheels?

MarkyRR

Hi folks, wonder if you brainy lot could help me with a bit of advice please? :unsure:

I've got a 1998 R1 as a track bike. I know it's a 4xv model, and I'm looking at a second pair of wheels for it to run a set of wets. Thing is, the pair I'm looking at is advertised as being from a year 2000 model, but still a 4xv. Am I right in thinking these would fit fine, and that there wasn't really any difference in the R1's until 2001 onwards? Just a little unsure as to what the 4xv, etc actually means - I thought the number changed each year....obviously not though.....

Thank you :)

*edited for spelling mistakes :unsure:

Hi folks, wonder if you brainy lot could help me with a bit of advice please? :)

I've got a 1998 R1 as a track bike. I know it's a 4xv model, and I'm looking at a second pair of wheels for it to run a set of wets. Thing is, the pair I'm looking at is advertised as being from a year 2000 model, but still a 4xv. Am I right in thinking these would fit fine, and that there wasn't really any difference in the R1's until 2001 onwards? Just a little unsure as to what the 4xv, etc actually means - I thought the number changed each year....obviously not though.....

Thank you :)

*edited for spelling mistakes :eusa_whistle:

I bought a set of wheels for my 2000 model which was 5jj designation but wheels were still stamped up for 4xv and fitted fine so it will be same other way round. The only problem i had was when i changed the wheel bearings turns out they are a bit of a nightmare on the front as some differents sizes were used on 2000/2001 model r1s so you may find your front spindle may not fit the bearing fitted to the 2000 wheels but for a few quid you can easily change bearings to a different internal diameter to fit your spindle/wheel specs.

Am I right in thinking these would fit fine, and that there wasn't really any difference in the R1's until 2001 onwards? Just a little unsure as to what the 4xv, etc actually means - I thought the number changed each year....obviously not though.....

Thank you :eusa_whistle:

The 4xv is the model designation. 4xv ran from 1998 to 1999. The 2000 - 2001 bike was a 5jj, and 2002 - 2003 5pw (IIRC). The 4xv and 5jj are very similar. Any wheels from a 4xv will be identical to yours, and the 5jj ones almost certainly will also fit. I'm not sure about 5pw ones though.

The 4xv is the model designation. 4xv ran from 1998 to 1999. The 2000 - 2001 bike was a 5jj, and 2002 - 2003 5pw (IIRC). The 4xv and 5jj are very similar. Any wheels from a 4xv will be identical to yours, and the 5jj ones almost certainly will also fit. I'm not sure about 5pw ones though.

The Foo-ster is correct. Most but not all parts are interchangeable between the 4xv and 5jj models.

The wheels are a direct swap, so you should be fine there. Also the front wheel, discs etc from the early R6's is also a direct swap, but the rear wheel is not.

Archived